What is an Ideal or Healthy Weight

Healthy Weight / Ideal Weight 

There is not a straightforward solution to calculate our healthy or ideal weight, sadly it isn't that black and white. Your "healthy" weight cannot simply be calculated from a general source - people's healthy weight, or ideal weight, depends on several factors, including their age, sex, body type, bone density, muscle-fat-ratio, overall general health, and height.



The chart above can be used as a reference based on your height for an ideal weight. 

However over the last few decades, using BMI (body mass index) was seen as an excellent means for calculating a person's healthy weight. Check your BMI below, do you agree with the results?



Powered by BMI Calculator

Your healthy weight may be different from friends and family, often even if you are the same sex and height. You should not compare yourself to people around you, because we are all different and you run the risk of either aiming for a body weight that is too high or too low. Even comparing yourself to people outside your immediate vicinity is not ideal.

Another option is to measure your body fat percentage, your body fat percentage is an excellent measure to give you an ideal weight for your body, see the charts below.






Based on all these charts and calculators you may now realize why there is not a straightforward solution to calculate your healthy or ideal weight, each person will have to decide their Ideal Weight based on age, body type, etc.

I am 33 yrs old, 5 ft 11 inches and, this is how I calculated my healthy/ideal weight:
1. Height Chart -  I went with the larger body type it said I could be up to 184 lbs, based on my height.
2. BMI Scale - I am currently overweight, even at a 184 lbs I would be overweight based on BMI, at 179 lbs, I am normal according to BMI.
3. Body Fat Percentage - Based on the pictures, I am between 15-20% body fat, which is right in the healthy range.

Based on this information, my goal is 180 lbs, that is MY healthy / ideal weight, it would:

  • Satisfy the Height Chart.
  • Slightly over on the BMI Scale.
  • Body Fat Percentage would be 12-15%.

I hope this helps you in calculating an ideal and healthy weight for your body! What is your healthy / ideal weight?


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

SPONSORS


The Weight Loss Game Plan
My eBook that gives you a step by step exercise and diet guide to lose fat and my 80 pound weight loss journey.

Click Here to view the journey and to buy the eBook, only $2.99

ADVERTISE / BECOME A SPONSOR


Become a sponsor for as little as $5 per month, contact me for more details.
Eric2Fit @ gmail.com