Walking, Running, then racing 5K and more race results


I started out my journey walking about 3-4 miles per day, I use this website to measure my walking distance RunningMap.com it is free and simple to use, you simply just enter your start and end points by clicking on the map, gives you a pretty accurate distance of your walk/run.

After walking for 2 weeks I decided I would like to run a 5K, keep in mind I could hardly run a block at this point :), so this was pretty ambitious. My goal was to run the 5K towards the end or at the end of the 2nd Quarter.
Scroll down for races & results.

So I went on to Active.com (Great website for finding races and other activities in your area) in the beginning of March, signed up for the The Dennis P. McHugh 5K Run for Fun and Family Fair, April 27, 2013 in Piermont, NY.
This was my training:

  • I walked for 3-4 miles per day for 2 weeks
  • Added running to 1-2 blocks to start
  • Increased my running distance each week
  • Until I could run 3+ miles straight, in about 42mins.
  • Then I started concentrating on lowering my time 
  • My best time training was 36 mins.


So finally it was race day! Barely slept the night woke-up at 6am, didn't need to be up that early but I was excited.
Got to the race an hour before start time, so now the nerves start kicking in, I am doing all these extra things that I didn't do before a run while I was training; walked around, yoga and a ton of stretching, LETS GO, I just want to RUN! lol

Now I am at the start line, my nerves are up again and I forgot to bring my headset to listen to music while I run making me even more nervous.
Race starts, adrenaline pumping, pace is pretty fast in the beginning, also a lot of obstacles (aka people) to avoid. About 10 minutes in, the crowd has thinned out a lot (no more obstacles :). At this point in the race I have to tell myself  IT's ALL IN YOUR HEAD, felt like walking at that point.
After fighting thru the initial urge to walk, then I was on cruise control.
Got to the halfway point felt good, grabbed water, thru it on my face like a real CHAMP...lol
Once I was within about a 1/2 mile of the finish line, FINISH STRONG was in my head so I started pushing hard, got to the finish line in a personal best 31 minutes and 23 seconds. Placed 270 out of 515 people.

You can run a 5K too!!! Click Here for the free Couch to 5K (C25K) plan

It was the best feeling ever! I was very proud of myself that I was able to finish the race and got such a good time, I was expecting 35 minutes.

Just think about it, 6 weeks prior to the race I could barely run 1-2 blocks, 6 weeks later I am running 3.1miles in 31minutes, just over 10 minutes per mile!

You can do anything you put your mind to! 

My next goal is run a 10K, then a half marathon, wish me luck I will post all my races and times below.... Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

My races and results:

1st Race - 4/27/13 Dennis P. McHugh 5K  -         31 mins 23 secs
2nd Race - 5/11/13 St. Vincent's Hospital 5K -     32 mins 39 secs.
This race was 3.2 miles with a lot of hills, it was tuff!

I have been running twice a week in preparation for the 10K, Saturdays and Wednesdays, Wednesdays is more of a shorter run around 4 miles, trying to make sure I keep some sort of form while running, Saturday mornings is my big run, 6 miles or more, my hope is to be running 10 miles + by race day.
3rd Race - 7/21/13 NYC Run & Rock 10K Brooklyn -   RACE CANCELLED...!

My new challenge will be to run a 5K in less than 25 minutes. Will start my cutting my 1 mile time to 7 + minutes.
8/3/2013 - 1 mile run 8 mins. 09 secs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

SPONSORS


The Weight Loss Game Plan
My eBook that gives you a step by step exercise and diet guide to lose fat and my 80 pound weight loss journey.

Click Here to view the journey and to buy the eBook, only $2.99

ADVERTISE / BECOME A SPONSOR


Become a sponsor for as little as $5 per month, contact me for more details.
Eric2Fit @ gmail.com